It’s nearing the season of food and family visits but, unfortunately, it’s also nearing the season for rodents to visit. When the weather gets colder, rodents search for warmth and food. Winter rodent infestations are usually prevalent by mid-November in Virginia. The best thing to do is prevent them from coming into your home in the first place. Once inside, these small and yet resourceful critters are likely to cause a lot of problems making them one of the most dangerous fall pests homeowners must contend with.
See also 4 Reasons Rodents Love Virginia
There are many problems associated with having a rodent infestation in your home. On top of the threats that each individual mouse or rat is capable of, they also breed very rapidly, which means that the danger level rises significantly once there are multiple mice running through the walls of your home.
Common issues rodents cause in your home are contamination of food and surfaces from urine and droppings; spread of bacteria and possible disease; extensive damage to structures, furniture and personal belongings from their constant gnawing; and risk of electrical fire if they find electrical equipment to gnaw on. These are all very concerning issues, but we have some advice that might help.
See also Q&A About Mice And Rats
Here are six great tips to help you prevent a winter rodent infestation.
- Check your home for any cracks or holes, inside and out, and seal them. Caulk, steel wool, insulation and spray insulation are all good choices.
- Refresh any cracked mortar and replace weather stripping around the basement foundation.
- To block chimney entrances, without blocking the smoke, use screens at the openings. Also use them to block vents.
- Store any firewood at least five feet from the ground and twenty feet from your home. Cut back shrubbery and tree branches from you home as well.
- Keep basements and attics clear by storing boxes off the floor to keep the floors open.
- Make sure food is in airtight containers, even pet food, bird seed and raw pastas. Take your trash out regularly.
Learn more about Virginia wildlife at https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/information/
If you suspect that you have rodent infestation in or near your home, Holistic Pest Solutions can provide you with a free assessment, suggestions, and treatment for long term control. Give us a call at 434 842 1700. Whether you’re in Charlottesville, Waynesboro, or close by to either; Holistic Pest Solutions has the perfect plan that is mindful of our clients AND our Earth.
*Our Environmental Commitment: Holistic Pest Solutions is committed to the preservation of our environment. Our goal is to nurture the soils and plant life of lawns and landscapes. Utilizing holistic pest control practices that cause the least amount of impact on the environment.