Earth Day is HERE – an annual event to draw attention to the effects of human activity on our planet. It reminds us how important the health of our planet is, and what we can do to preserve it. Here at Holistic Pest Solutions, we are mindful of our clients AND our Earth. As a family, this is a great day to get outdoors and enjoy each other’s company. Here are 11 fun activities for you and your family to do this Earth Day!
- Build a birdhouse or bird feeder: Share your home with Earth’s creatures by creating a DIY birdhouse/feeder out of recycled material such as a milk or juice jug to give a home to your local bird population.
- Go on a nature scavenger hunt: Find a list of native plants or birds around you, and go out for a scavenger hunt with your family. This not only gets your family outdoors but teaches everyone about your local flora and fauna.
- Start a compost bin in your backyard: What better day to start a compost bin than Earth Day?! A compost bin is an eco-friendly way of disposing veggies and other biodegradable waste. It cuts back on waste in landfills, and improves the structure and health of your soil using organic matter. (Reducing the need for pesticides and fertilizers in your garden).
- Craft a nature collage: Go outside and collect items such as flowers and leaves to create an all-natural art collage. You can find items while on a walk or hike or used recycled material for other fun crafts.
- Plant a tree: Planting a tree can be a fun and easy activity either in your own yard or with a tree-planting project in your community. Trees help with soil erosion and carbon emission. They also provide food and protection for many species!
- Have a car-free day: Make a pact with your family to walk, bike, or take public transportation to destinations this Earth Day to reduce greenhouse gasses.
- Get out on the water: If you are able to, spend the day observing nature from the water. Instead of using something motorized, go kayaking, paddleboarding, or use another pollution-free water device.
- Have a picnic: Another great excuse to go outside is to have a picnic! Keep your picnic earth friendly by using reusable containers and utensils.
- Volunteer for a neighborhood cleanup: Put on your gloves and pick up trash in your local neighborhood! If there is no formal event happening, meet up with friends and family for your own cleanup.
- Make Earth Day cookies: Make cookies and make them Earth Day themed by using blue and green icing to represent Earth’s waters and continents.
- Attend an Earth Day event: Earth Day is celebrated around the world and there may be events going on near you for you and your family to attend!
*Our Environmental Commitment: Holistic Pest Solutions is committed to the preservation of our environment. Our goal is to nurture the soils and plant life of lawns and landscapes. Utilizing holistic pest control practices that cause the least amount of impact on the environment.