Warm weather is here and so are the pests it brings. We are seeing a big increase in insect issues due to our mild winter and wet early Spring. More termite swarmers, carpenter bees, spiders, wasps, and ants. Even mosquitoes, ticks and fleas are making an early resurgence. Bring on the bugs, Mother Nature, because Holistic Pest Solutions is ready. Here’s how what we can help with:
Carpenter bees, wasps, yellow jackets and hornets – Bees of any kind and wasps are waking up from their winter sleep and are on the look out for free pollen, which is in abundance in the springtime. These insects are the pollinators of the insect world and are VERY beneficial in the environment too. However some colonies can get extremely large and these insects can get aggressive if provoked. Carpenter bees could specifically bore into your home to make their nests and can cause extensive wood damage.
If you find that you’re having an issue with honey bees/bumble bees in your garden, remember that these bees are very beneficial to the environment. Swarming bees look spectacular, but they are usually not aggressive. Do not try to scare the bees away by waving your arms wildly at them or throwing water at them as this is liable to aggravate them. If the bees are easily accessible, a local beekeeper may be willing to remove the swarm for you at no cost to you. Don’t try to remove the nest or kill these very beneficial bees. Call Holistic Pest Solutions and we’ll give you someone to contact that will remove them safely without killing them.
Termites – Swarmer termites are the springtime termite issue. We’ve been seeing them earlier this year due to the mild winter. You may think it’s a flying ant, but if you have termites then you may have an underlying structural problem. Termites are responsible for between $2-3 billion in damage each year in the U.S. alone!! This means that they are accredited with causing more damage each year than storms and damaging more than three times as many homes as fire.
Ants – Ants are the most common pest found in the United States. Like termites, ants are highly social insects where each ant has a particular duty within the nest. Because of this great focus on duty, ants can seem quite determined and are hard to control once established within or near a structure.
Mosquitoes – As most of us know, ANY standing water outside should be eliminated or changed once a week for bird baths, etc. Some conditions that should be corrected in order to reduce the attractiveness of your home for breeding or staging include gutters should be clean and free flowing, leaf accumulation should be removed from under decks, shrubs and around the home and the lawn should be cut regularly.
If you want to prevent insects, bugs and other pests entering your home;
- Create a barrier between the inside and outside of your home and seal off cracks and crevices around the building.
- You may opt to have your windows and doors open during the spring time – check and repair any screens over doors and windows to avoid insects getting in your home.
- Eliminate any standing water that may be caused from a leaking pipe or broken guttering not only deterring mosquitoes but termites as well.
- Eliminate any weeds and trim bushes and shrubbery from the outside of your home.
- Maintain a clean kitchen ensuring any crumbs are swept up and surfaces are clean. If flies get into your home they can transfer pathogens and spread bacteria which is potentially harmful to humans.
- Store any open foods in tight fitting lidded containers to avoid attracting pests. If pests do get in to your food then they can contaminate it making it unsafe for consumption.
- Have a spring clean inside your home, vacuuming those hard to reach areas where spiders like to hide.
CONTACT Holistic Pest Solutions to learn more about our treatment plans for termites, ants, mosquitoes or any other pests or give us a call at 434 842 1700. Whether you’re in Charlottesville, Waynesboro, or close by to either, Holistic Pest Solutions has the perfect plan for you that is as Green As You Wanna Be!
*Our Environmental Commitment: Holistic Pest Solutions is committed to the preservation of our environment. Our goal is to nurture the soils and plant life of lawns and landscapes. Utilizing holistic pest control practices that cause the least amount of impact on the environment.